We are living in an age where technology is and will continue to be used in all aspects of our day to day activities whether that is our in our personal or professional lives. FindNursingSchools.com created a list of 12 free apps that are geared toward nurses and nursing students. Take a look at some of these great options below and let us know about any apps you’ve found beneficial in the comment section!
1. Medzio Health Navigator – Medzio Health Navigator is a dual purpose app. It uses the location of your phone to track down nearby healthcare facilities, hospitals and clinics for all of your medical needs. With each listing, you are provided with contact information and directions to the facility. The second purpose of the app is to provide users with medically correct information in regards to health topics, symptoms and first aid care.
2. Essential Skeleton 2 – Essential Skeleton 2 by 3D4Medical utilizes 3D technology to display the human skeleton from head-to-toe. Anyone taking courses in anatomy and physiology would benefit from this app. 3D4Medical also offers a free Essential Anatomy app display the muscular system.
3. Epocrates – Epocrates provides prescription information for thousands of drugs, as well as several tools for pill identification. If you’re looking for more detailed clinical information, you can upgrade to Epocrates Essentials for a yearly subscription fee.
4. Micromedex Drug Information – Micromedex provides detailed information on thousands of prescribed and over-the-counter medications. For each drug, Micromedex lists generic names, dosing instructions, warnings, drug interactions, adverse effects and more.
5. NCLEX Qbank – We love NCLEX Qbank for nursing students! This app is powered by Kaplan Nursing, a trusted name for testing resources. Nursing students now have NCLEX practice questions at their fingertips. Kaplan’s Qbank offers over 180 questions with options for timed tests and review help for incorrect answers.
6. Eponyms – An example of an eponym is Crohn’s Disease (a word derived from a person’s name). This app provides definitions for eponyms falling under various medical specialty areas.
7. Stat Spanish – If you lack a background in Spanish and you are a medical professional, this app is a must-have. When it comes to communicating with Spanish-speaking patients, Stat Spanish will make your life a little easier. English-Spanish translations will help you greet patients, discuss symptoms and perform a simple exam.
8. AACN2Go – If you are an acute or critical care nurse, this app is calling your name! AACN2Go is brought to you by the America Association of Critical-Care Nurses. AACN2Go provides easy-access to quick references and online journals.
9. Read by QxMD – With Read by QxMD, you will be well informed with the latest scientific research, medical breakthroughs and industry news. You’ll also gain easy-to-navigate mobile access to PubMed.
10. Calculate by QxMD – This app is exactly what its name says it is – a medical calculator! Calculate by QxMD was developed in collaboration with industry experts to provide over 150 unique calculations for all areas of medicine.
11. MD ezLabs – MD ezLAbs was designed to provide users with quick access to normal and abnormal lab values. Each lab test contains a link for users to find more detailed information.
12. Code Happy – The purpose of Code Happy is to help you build a nursing support network. When you need a pick-me-up, you can use the Code Happy app to call on other nurses for “Happygrams.” This allows nurses to spread humor and inspiration with other like-minded individuals.